||A Class 126 "Inter-City" diesel unit departing
from Glasgow Central on the 12.00 to Ayr, on 18 August 1981. These
trains worked Ayrshire coast services until the lines to Ayr and
Largs were electrified in the mid-80s.
||Another class of DMU which disappeared during
the 1980s was the Park Royal Class 103. An example is seen here
at Machynlleth, on the 10.42 to Pwllheli, on 12 August.
||A Class 506 1500V d.c. electric multiple unit,
M59601M, at Manchester Piccadilly on 8 July, with the 12.00 to Hadfield.
These trains were built to an LNER design and introduced in
1954. They worked services between Manchester, Glossop and
Hadfield until the line was converted to 25kV a.c. in 1984
||Shortly before the closure of the
line and the withdrawal of the Class 76 electric locomotives,
76039 and 76038 approach Torside with a loaded MGR coal train,
on the Woodhead route between Sheffield and Manchester. The date
is 8 July 1981.